Sunday, June 5, 2011

Genetics Relegated to Poor Excuse

.

"I'm genetically predisposed to be fat," you say. Or whatever your malady is, be it boring, annoying, stupid, tired, bald, poor, irresponsible, et cetera. People have used their learned helplessness - that gut reaction that says, "I have no control over my life and therefore should be pitied and given free stuff" - for quite some time as an excuse for why their life isn't the way they want it to be. "I was bullied in school," "The Man is oppressing me," "I was raped," "They put addictive chemicals in it," and so on are brandished like weapons to justify collective laziness and refusal to take responsibility for one's own life. The most powerful of these excuses has been, "I'm genetically predisposed..." It's the ultimate in having no control over one's destiny.

Attitude determines altitude. It's not just true for airplanes, it's also true for people. Whatever problems you've had in your life, they can be overcome and you can find your happiness. And just today, I've learned of definitive evidence that the tired old excuse for mediocrity - genetic factors - is just that: an excuse.

In this study, 30 men with prostate cancer changed their lifestyles instead of undergoing the "normal" treatments, and in ONLY THREE MONTHS, genes which fought disease had flipped on and genes that caused cancer had flipped off.

They had changed their genes!

I've known for some time that diet and exercise can make a huge difference in the way people feel and what they can do; I've experienced it myself. Tony Robbins was the first to let me in on the secret, followed by several others. More and more people are finding out that they can heal themselves simply by making a few minor changes to the way they live and what they eat, and the investment is paying off. Their friends are noticing.

So what are you going to do with this information? Are you going to continue to let your life slip by you? Or are you going to realize that you can reach for your dreams and achieve them? Are you going to realize you CAN take control of your life?

Believing is believing.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're Wondering what this Place is all About

Do us a Small Favor, Please:

Terms of Use - legally binding; sadly necessary